If you’re asking yourself “Can I fix my metal roof leak DIY?” Let Republic Roofing help you out. Metal roofs have gained tremendous popularity in both residential and commercial applications due to their durability, low-maintenance nature, fire resistance, and water resistance. The ridge of a metal roof plays a significant role in maintaining its structural integrity and serves as a connection between the adjacent sloping panels.
Ideally, a properly installed metal roof should not require any repairs for several years, and it can last 50 to 70 years and even beyond before major replacement becomes necessary. Metal roofs offer a superior alternative to wood or vinyl roofing materials.
However, if an incompetent roofer installs your metal roof without the necessary tools and expertise in this type of roofing, you may have to face certain issues in the future.
Although these problems may not be immediately visible after installation, homeowners often notice these issues following severe storms.
Ridge Leakage on Metal Roof: Identifying the Causes
To keep your metal roof in tip-top shape for years to come, make sure to address potential issues as soon as they arise. By examining the following factors, you can determine the root cause of the problem and take appropriate measures to rectify it.
1. Inadequate Slope: If your roof slope falls below a 3:12 ratio, it is highly likely to be the source of the leak. However, if your roof has slopes slightly above 2/12, experts recommend opting for a standing seam solution.
2. Dislodged or Loose Panels: Improper installation practices can result in metal roofing panels becoming loose or even dislodged due to strong winds. If the roof sheets were not adequately fastened or the panels were not interlocked and firmly attached to the deck, you may discover missing sections of your roof after a severe weather event.
3. Incorrect or Missing Flashing: Proper installation of flashing is crucial, particularly around vulnerable areas of your roof such as skylights and chimneys. Neglecting to install flashing or performing an inadequate installation can contribute to roof leaks. In addition, make sure to verify if flashing has been appropriately installed in other critical areas, including end walls, roof valleys, ridges, and sidewalls, to name a few.
4. Leakage at the Ridges of a metal roof: The metal roof ridge is an area of the roof that is highly vulnerable to leaks. These ridges are formed by the overlapping seams of two metal roofing panels. Although they are tightly sealed during installation, there remains a small gap that allows water to infiltrate. This occurs due to capillary draw, where water is drawn upwards and finds its way between the metal roof panels. Eventually, the water seeps into the internal components of your metal roof and causes serious water damage.
How To Repair or Replace Your Metal Roof? Your Best Options
If your metal roof is leaking, you have three viable options to fix the issue: repair, replace, or restore your roof.
1. Repairing Your Metal Roof – By consistently maintaining your metal roof and performing repairs in a timely manner, you can expect it to last anywhere between 30 and 70 years. By conducting regular inspections annually or biannually, you can detect many common issues like loose screws or minor damages and fix them quickly before they turn into large-scale issues. Repairing your metal roof may involve replacing missing or damaged panels and tightening any loosened fasteners.
2. Restoring Your Metal Roof – As your metal roof approaches the end of its lifespan, it will need more attention. You may notice an increase in leak-prone areas and find that repairs are no longer as effective. Restoration offers an effective solution by utilizing coating materials to fortify and safeguard the roof, prolonging its lifespan. However, keep in mind that restoration may not be suitable if the roof is extensively damaged and beyond repair.
3. Replacing Your Metal Roof: After several decades of service, your metal roof will ultimately need replacement. Whether you choose to install a brand-new metal roofing system or opt for an alternative roofing material, Republic Roofing has the expertise to deliver top-quality and stunning roofing systems that will stand the test of time. With over a decade of industry expertise, our team of skilled and qualified professionals specializes in repairing and installing all types of residential and commercial roofing systems.