Whats in a Roofing Warranty? Regardless of we’re buying a TV or installing a new roof, all of us worry about warranties. But, have you ever read and understood the fine print exceptions in warranties?
So, how do you know if you’re getting a solid deal? Here we bring you a comprehensive guide so you can get what you need to know about roofing warranties.
Why does a roofing warranty matter?
Replacing a roof implies investing a lot of money. So, logically, you’ll want to protect your investment.
By understanding the coverages of materials and installation, you’ll know if these materials and the installation service are right for you.
In this sense, Mike Ward, owner at Republic Roofing, says:
“We offer many product and warranty options to meet the needs of each homeowner. Sometimes the best warranty is a 20-year, while other clients love our 50-year. The result is that we will always do what is best for our clients.”
Why does a roofing warranty matter?
Generally, roof warranties cover defects in materials or workmanship. To help you know what to expect, here we describe the warranties of the most common roofing products.
Asphalt shingle manufacturer warranties go from 20 years to a lifetime. It depends on the quality of the shingles used. But, most of them provide 20-, 25- or 30-year shingles. Top companies like Owens Corning stand behind a lifetime shingle warranty on select products.
Likewise, basic asphalt shingles provide lesser warranties. Meanwhile, high-quality laminated dimensional shingles usually offer lifetime guarantees.
Although some limitations can apply, fiberglass underlayment can offer up to 50 years of roof deck protection.
Most underlayment manufacturers require removing all previous materials from the roof deck before applying its product.
Most ridge and intake vents are practically everlasting since manufacturers make them of robust plastic materials. So, they carry lifetime warranties.
Otherwise, power vents have limited, short-term warranties because of the risk of mechanical failure.
Installation warranties are a bit complex. The reason is that each material product warranty provides installation requirements to qualify the product warranty.
What can you do? A good contractor will always stand behind his work. So, hire a contractor whose roofing warranty includes the replacement of warranted materials.
FAQs about roofing warranties
- When does my roof warranty expire? Depending on the installing company and the materials used, there is a different expiration date for every roofing warranty. Usually, a shingles manufacturer’s warranty lasts from 20- and 30-years.
- Did you acquire a lifetime warranty? Ask what “lifetime” means. According to the warranty conditions, this term may be, for example, 30 years.
- Ask if a proration will apply to your roof warranty. It refers to an exponential decrease in the value of an object over time. So, the amount of money your warranty will cover for roofing damage will decrease through time as the remaining value of your roof decrease. It can apply even if the cause of the damage is a manufacturer’s defect.
- Who is entitled to the benefits of my roofing warranty? The homeowner who had the roof installed is primarily entitled to the benefits of any roofing warranty. But, may have acquired a transferrable warranty. It means that you can transfer your roofing warranty to a new homeowner if you sell your home. Have in mind that most roofing companies do not allow transferring the warranty to more than one new homeowner. Besides, you have to notify the warranty company of the transfer within a certain timeframe (often 60 days).
- Are there exceptions to my roofing warranty? Depending on where you live or who installed your roof, some exceptions may apply to your warranty.
Don’t forget to ask any inquiry you may have about your roofing warranty and familiarize yourself with its terms and conditions.
Let’s talk about a 50-year roofing warranty
Companies with great products and workmanship trust the quality of their work.
That’s why Republic Roofing stands behind the best roofing warranty in the business!
We use top-quality roofing products from Owens Corning. So, we offer our 50-year, non-prorated, transferrable warranty; one of the best in the business.
Do you need a new roof?